Saturday, October 07, 2006

John Cooper on FUNNY BONES

This just in from my friend John Cooper in the UK.

I can't wait for more info on Jacko Fossett and Charlie Cairoli...

__________________________________________________

Hi, Pat.
As before, this is going to both addresses. If you
plan to hold on to it for a while, please let me know
it's arrived as I've been having problems with e-mail
of late.

Shortly I shall send a piece concerning Bubi and Jule,
who appeared on 14 July. You may want to dig out a
photo.

And then it must be Charlie Cairoli, although the
problem is what to leave out!

Still to establish contact with any member of Nuts and
Bolts.

At some stage I shall probably send something on Jacko
Fossett as it would be a sin to omit him from GREAT
Circus Clowns of the Past. I'd better try to find a
suitable photo and send it down the line. Not that I'm
really computerate - but I know a man who is!

Enough waffle.

John.

*******************************************************

Funny Bones.

Mention of George Carl on 6 October reminds me that he
appeared on 8 July as well, the movie/film (I'm
bilingual!) "Funny Bones" being mentioned at the same
time. Reference to that cinematic production also
occurs in connection with Ben Dova (10 and 11 July).

I must make one correction. The comedian/actor Freddie
Davies was known as "Parrot Face" and not "Parrot
Head" as stated.

My friend David Barnes was circus consultant for the
movie, the circus sequences being shot at Blackpool
Tower Circus.

It is Lee Evans himself who climbs the sway pole -
which is the connection with Ben Dova. The prop itself
belonged to a gentleman called Fattini, who had bought
the prop, the act and the name from a retired artiste.
Fattini had been booked to double for Lee Evans when
it came to climbing the pole. Lee decided he could do
it himself - and he did. Which must have amused the
insurers!

David Barnes tells me that Lesley Caron (who also
appeared in the movie) dined with the crew rather than
disappearing in to her trailer.

If you haven't seen "Funny Bones", I should warn you
that the humour is very dark at times.

----------

A question connected with Ben Dova. Did he have a son
who worked as "Gil Dova"? Gil was a juggler who worked
the cigar boxes whilst perched on a pedestal. He
married a French antipodiste, Regina Baranton, who
worked with her sister Eliane as The Baranton Sisters.

I worked a season with Eliane's daughter Sylvana.
Sylvana is French through her mother and Italian
through her late father ("Johnny" Biasini). Her
husband (Abdul Cheddadi) is Moroccan. Their son
(Brandon) is - well - confused! Not that he need be,
because he was born in England.

I think I asked you a question just now.

John Cooper.
England.

4 comments:

24-HOUR-MAN said...

When I worked with Ben Dova at Montreal's "notorious" Mocambo Cafe, his son Gil was visiting, on a break from The Harlem GlobeTrotters. I'm quite sure at the time he was going by the name Gil Spa.
I believe the only similarity between Ben Dova's & Fattini's riggings was the lamp at the top. I still believe no one has succeeded in recreating Ben Dova's act.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that piece of information. It seems that Gil was indeed Ben's son.

John.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Gil Dova (Gil SPah) was Ben Dova's (Joseph Spah) son.

Anonymous said...

Oh and Ben Dova's original lamp post is in storage in Manassas VA w/ his daughter