Thursday, April 19, 2007

DAVID LARIBLE: More From David



More of David Larible from Circus Massimo in 2002.

I'm glad that someone else compared Larible with Oleg Popov yesterday. I've always found him extremely "Popovian" (?) but he's overcompensating for one of Oleg Popov's biggest character defects: David smiles almost constantly, from what I've seen Popov almost never smiles in the ring unless he's doing something to someone else.

He doesn't smile when he enters.

He doesn't smile when he leaves.

He only smiles when he being "clever".

Which strikes me as a strange approach for a clown to affect. I've seen several versions of his famous Juggling Cook routine, recorded over a period of decades, but it always seems to be presented with an air as if Popov is doing the audience a favor by allowing them to bask in his particular genius.

But, he's a legend.

It may just be that I don't know enough about Russian comedy, Soviet circus history or the intricacies of their politics to get some subtext that would snap Oleg Popov into better focus for me.



3 comments:

Mr. Pitts said...

I never noticed the similarity before, but now that you mention it.. I can't believe I haven't noticed.

As far as Popov not smiling.. deadpan can be pretty effective in comedy.. Keaton for instance. But I'm not sure that's what Popov is doing. It doesn't seem to come across that way does it? What's that nickname or title he's had.. "The Sunny Clown" or something like that.. you'd think "The Sunny Clown" would smile a little more often

Anonymous said...

well same thing as with emmet kelly:

I checked the new book: the biography writen in 2006 yesterday.
and guess what?? not a single photo in make up where he doesnt smiles!!!so actually he smiles a lot.also on his private pictures.
but also notice popov does a lot more with his face than smiling. he never uses words and his mimic is terrific!!! so when he smiles it does more. who walks around with a constant overdone smile?? that would be overacting!!

its not a very wide smile but a little more gentle.
and his nickname " the sunny clown " the story is in the book:

he was invited at the belgian royal palace in the 50thies when he was playing in brussels. at the palace he did a funny dance for queen elisabeth. she said "mr popov youre a verry sunny clown".

and the story of the depressive clown and the doctor..... thats a joke.
indeed they tell it with almost every clown.
I heard it once with popovs name.... and he isnt dead yet!!!

Unknown said...

I know, I know, older post, but I wanted to comment anyway.

There are ways in which DL might emulate Oleg Popov, but there is no way that their artistry, while considerable in both cases, can be compared. David Larible is frantic and manic with that grin on all the time; Popov acts like a regular joe, an average Soviet citizen. I'm Polish, and only second generation in the US, so I understand a lot about how Bloc-region folks "get" their comedy. Oleg Popov represents to many people a character in a story-book rather than a constantly slapstick idiot character (not meant as a perjorative; I mean idiot as in devoid of normal common sense), as so many clown types are.

IOW, funny things HAPPEN to, and happen because of, Popov's clown; most American-style clowns act as though silly/goofy/funny is the one and only channel they can appear on, or they play almost entirely on pathos, like Kelly or other "sad clowns". Rarely does anyone see an American clown whose character embodies and expresses such ranges of emotion as does Mr. Popov's.

I'd like to think it was in tribute that DL copied Popov's street-clothes look, right down to his floppy hat.

Because I appreciate DL's clowning so much, I'll overlook the idea that much of what was celebrated about DL's clowning was accepted by US audiences because they had never seen the originators. His style is one rooted in Europe and its progenitors and masters were generally unknown by US crowds because they stayed with their shows.

All that said, indeed, Mr. Popov and Mr. Larible are two of the twentieth century's, and two of history's, great clowns; there can be no disputing that.