Tuesday, December 18, 2007

LOU JACOBS: With Chris Shelton

Photo courtesy of Chris Shelton...



From former Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Red Unit Boss Clown, Chris Shelton...

__________________________________________________

Hey Pat,
Steve Copeland stayed at my house during a tour in this area. When I was showing him old circus photos, I came across this picture with Lou. This was taken during Lou’s, Pee Wee’s, and my last year on the road. When I became Boss, I was told I had to find someone to walk Lou from his dressing room to the back door for each of his routines. I instantly assigned myself to that honor! This shot was taken en route. I watched and enjoyed every time Lou worked. Take care!

_________________________________________________


Thank you for sharing Chris!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A touching story...but why did someone have to walk Lou to the back door? I lost touch with most of the Ringling crew over the years...what was the story?

-- Michael Karp

Anonymous said...

Since we are talking about a legend, please let me pick up on a comment/question I submitted in the middle of this year.
I did go to see Mickey Rooney when he was touring, and had a thouroughly enjoyable time. Indeed, the man has a reputation as being "difficult", but he's never done me any harm. By the end of her own spot, his wife, Jan, could have sung the telephone directory and received a standing ovation. Lovely singer.
They did get a stander at the end, but I have to say that it was probably more for the lengthy career than for the evening itself.
And it so happens that Mickey and Jan are appearing in Pantomime over here this Christmas. I doubt I shall have to explain that to you intelligent people.

And before I forget.....Merry Christmas.

John.

Anonymous said...

yes same question here...
why do they have to walk a performer how has years of experiance to the back door.

Or could he get lost on his way or was it to protect him from fans and with a chat being to late fot his entrance.

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna guess because of Lou's advancing age, and the general chaos backstage, Chris just helped make sure he got to his spot safely.

-Greg