Monday, September 04, 2006

Raymond Thomas

Photos courtesy of Rik Gern




Blogging today from the parking lot of the Wash & WiFi, Rutland Vermont's first (and probably only) laudromat with a free wireless internet connection. As I sit sipping Snapple Green Tea, checking my email on my macbook, in the front seat of my PT Cruiser, listening to my XM satellite radio and taking calls on my cell phone as I do my clown laundry I have to wonder again...JUST HOW DID ANYONE DO THIS BACK IN THE RAILROAD AND TENT SHOW DAYS?!?

My clown hat goes off to this fellow, Raymond Thomas, a turn of the century clown who probably wouldn't believe how easy the clowns of today have it! I don't know anything about Mr. Thomas other than the fact that Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Gold Unit Advance Clown, Rik "Bonzo Crunch" Gern was thoughtful enough to pass along these photos of him to share.

We still need submissions in order to keep the blog going until I can get back home (September 17th) and start scanning my archive to the new computer, so anyone out there with photos to share please send them along to me at cashincomedy@yahoo.com.

Thank you and have a happy and safe Labor Day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

With the exception of the cross on the chin, it is a very effective make-up, especially the eyes.

Pat---I always wondered about this--do you use TIDE with or without the bleach alternative?

Anonymous said...

Pat,

Vermont hasn't been on the Yankee Doodle route in several years. However, when we did play the Rutland area we would look forward to a good home-cooked meal at the MIDWAY DINER. Honest food, fair prices, an coffee so fresh we thought we were in South America.

Standing in front of the fairgrounds, with your back to the Main entrance the diner is on the left down the road. I hope it is still there and hasn't been bulldozed for a fast-food franchise.

Anonymous said...

It occurs to me (sitting here in England) that as the Washer Woman gag/routine is a parody to some extent, would it work quite so well in this day and age when the younger folk don't really understand what is being parodied? Surely there's a need to establish character before geting down to the nitty-gritty.
In this day and age, I suspect far more go to the laundromat than do their laundry by hand. Hence the comment here.

John.