Wednesday, February 13, 2008

OTTAVIO CANESTRELLI

With thanks to Paul Lopez






I haven't posted anything so far on the passing of Ottavio Canestrelli for several reasons, not least of which is that the story leaves me so profoundly saddened. I apologize for the delay.

I didn't know Ottavio. I'd never met him.

When I first heard news of his passing I'd assumed that he was an older performer who had left us after an illness. There were no details.

As the details came in, and fleshed out the story of his life for me, I was stunned.

We've lost an extremely gifted performer, a wonderful person and someone I wish that I'd been fortunate enough to know.



From Ottavio's final bio...


Ottavio Canestrelli was born and raised in the circus. He started performing at the tender age of 4 with his brothers; soon Ottavio became the star performer in his family's teeter-board act. He also had a hilarious comedy "knock-about" act with his twin brother.

After many years of traveling and performing throughout the US, Canada and Mexico the Pietro Canastrelli Family (as they were called) entered adulthood. As a result they went there separate ways.

Ottavio persued a career in acting and earned a degree in Theater but he found himself yearning for the physicality of the circus. Thus, returned with new skills as a solo artist, recreating himself as a Physical Comedian of yesteryear such a Buster Keaton
his skills are:

Ladder Act
German Wheel
Juggling
Comedy Chair Act
Teeter-board
Solo Trapeze
and countless others




You may visit Ottavio's website by clicking here or visit his memorial MySpace page by clicking the title of this post.


Ottavio is, and will continue to be, greatly missed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I worked with Ottavio at Fern Street Circus. He was always dedicated and professional, an amazing trouper. I remember one gig we did for a corporate client in the LA area. It was a lousy day, cold, with intermittent rain, the venue was an outdoor platform stage without any backstage area or cover. A few of the younger artists saw the conditions and immediately said that it was too difficult to work. Ottavio quietly set up his props and at the scheduled time did his unsupported ladder routine on a slippery stage to a handful of entralled spectators. Afterward, he said "In circus, you do what has to be done to give the people the best show."

Don Covington

Anonymous said...

I'm ottavio's daughter, Cat. My dad was an amazing performer. I use to hang around by Fern Street when I was younger. My dad would travel all over the world, I once went to visit him in Japan! It was a lot of fun. He was a great performer and should be remembered forever, one day I hope to follow his footsteps and be a great performer like him.

Pat Cashin said...

Thank you for sharing that, Cat.

We look forward to news of your future performances. Please keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I haven't commented in a long time! My family still performs, but I perform in theater, not the circus.I am majoring in Film Production, so I will still be involved in the entertainment business like my family before me.