Friday, September 12, 2008

GENE LEWIS: From Chuck Burnes and Rick Whelan

Photos by Jannette Rainwater, courtesy of Michael Rainwater, Chuck Burnes and Rick Whelan





During a recent correspondence Rick Whelan wrote to Chuck Burnes...

I grew up in Plainville, CT. As you may remember, Ringling played there quite frequently during the 1950s. They wanted to tap the central Connecticut market but couldn't return to Hartford because of the bad feelings caused by that devastating circus fire in 1944.So I grew up watching Ringling almost every summer, and I guess I got hooked. And when I struck up a friendship with Gene, that made it even sweeter. I often wonder when Gene passed ... and where he is buried. The last address I had for him was a trailer park in La Puente, CA. Do you happen to know any details of his last years?

As a youngster, Gene really fascinated me. We became penpals and this correspondence lasted over ten years. I had hoped to become a circus clown some day - just like him! Now I'm 63 years old. I didn't become a clown, but I was an actor for 15 years and I often think Gene had a great deal to do with this.

The last time I saw Gene was at the old Madison Square Garden in the late 1960s. By then was in college and had decided to try acting. Gene was so happy for me ... he was always telling me to get as much education as I could and I think he thought acting was a much more "respectable" profession than clowning ... although I'm not sure, even at my age, I could ever agree with that. I think the great clowns of the world are the supreme artists of our time: Otto Griebling... Emmett Kelly... Felix Adler... Lou Jacobs... all brilliant!
Gene was born in Bloomington Indiana (or Illinois?) He was in vaudeville with a guy named Frank Faylen who later went on to have a movie career. Faylen's most famous role was the taxi driver in the Christmas classic "It's A Wonderful Life". When vaudeville went bust, Gene joined the circus and Frank went to Hollywood.
I'm just wondering if you knew Gene during your years with the circus. Any information you could give me about his life and personal history would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Rick Whelan



And Chuck replied

Hi, Rick! Sure! I knew Gene very well! A really terrrific guy!

I was on the Ringling show from 1955 thru 1961 - seven full seasons in all. In fact, I met my wife there!

Gene had a trailer in a little trailer park with lots of other circus people close to downtown and I frequently saw him in off-season, as well!

I know he was in vaudeville with Frank Faylen because whenever we played Madison Square Garden, Frank would visit a few times each year.


Both gentlemen ask that if anyone out there has more information on Mr. Lewis (Jackie LeClaire, we're looking at you. sir) to please step forward and share it with the group!


No comments: