Tuesday, June 03, 2008

THE INTERNATIONAL CLOWN HALL OF FAME: My First Visit

After landing in Milwaukee yesterday afternoon my first order of business was to finally visit the International Clown Hall of Fame in the Tommy G. Thompson Youth Center at Wisconsin State Fair Park.

For all I'd heard about the ICHOF oer the last few years I was braced for disappointment. What I'd found was that the ICHOF has more right with it than wrong.

Things are in flux right now as they prepare to move to a new location later this year. Plans are underway and grants have been written (and some accepted) for the collection to have a permanent home nearby.

Current director Terry Hall is working 25 hours a day to pay off any and all past debts, catalog the collection and generally get the ICHOF back into shape.

Since my performance schedule is a little lighter than during the week than I'd anticipated (and I'm not complaining about that at all), I hope to be able to get back over there a few more time before the weekend.

Here are some photos that I took with my cellphone camera from my first visit...


Mark Anthony, whose carvings of Felix Adler, Bumpsy Anthony and Otto Griebling are really something to behold.


A costume and wig belonging to Ringling Master Clown, Bobby Kay.




A little something from the Jack Le Claire collection.




A suit and hat from Prince Paul Alpert.


A very nice display for Barry Lubin

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was involved with the ICHOF in the early days, as a general member and as a group representative on the inductee selection committee. In the beginning the ICHOF had tremendous potential, solid support and great success. Throughout years, as a result of mismanagement and an inability to find a balance between hometown clowns and professional clowns, the ICHOF became unfortunately, but not surprisingly, a shadow of it’s former self. I sincerely wish Mr. Hall success in breathing life back into the ICHOF. He has a tough road ahead him, rebuilding the many burned bridges and disillusioned membership created by his predecessors.

Kenny

Anonymous said...

Interesting to see these exhibits, but I would ask that you do not restrict the photos you take to items connected with American performers. I, for one, would like to see what is on show to represent other nationalities.

John.

Anonymous said...

Barry Lubin "Grandma" Tent No. 2 CFA is one of the most active Tents in CFA thanks to Barry's support from day one. The Tent hosted one of the best CFA Conventions in Hershey last May - 2007. Thank You Barry Lubin....You are the GREATEST..