Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Bernie Kallman

Photo courtesy of Donald Stambaugh



One of the best things that has happened to me as a result of starting this blog is having the opportunity to talk with Bernie Kallman on the phone about circus clowning.

Bernie's a great guy with a wealth of information. I'm always glad to share another picture of him. Bernie had great, very classic, very three ring American circus, whiteface.



Does anyone have any video of Bernie and the rest of the classic CBCB in action? All of my CBCB videos are from the 80s and early 90s.

4 comments:

Mike Naughton said...

As a teenager wanting to get into the business I remember sitting in the Beatty-Cole alley usually next to Bernie's trunk and I sat in absolute amazement watching Bernie put on his make-up. He would wander into the alley minutes before showtime and apply his makeup in a matter of minutes. One of his make-up tools was the grease pencil, also known as a china marker. My family had a grocery store/deli in New York City and we often used china markers at the store.

Anonymous said...

Hard video to find, but if you can get "Plimpton! The Man on the Flying Trapeze". Filmed on the CBCB lot in Philadelphia, about 1970. Limited footage of the gags, in the ring and at a hospital show, and interview with Kenny Dodd.
Jimmy James said that George Plimpton continued to visit the show in New York for years after.

Anonymous said...

Bernie Kallman was the quintessential white face clown. His makeup and costumes were perfact and complete. He could be seen from one end of the tent to the other. unfortunately you don't see this attention to detail anymore.

Lary Hafner said...

As a teen I knew Bernie very well. Id spend hours with him behind the scenes at CBCB on its annual visits to Michigan. the rest of the year he wrote to me regularly discussing circus life and encouraged me in my circus hopes. at that time I was an up and coming single trapeze performer destined to be a legend....
a very kind and funny man....I dont know what became of him and I think of him often....