Saturday, June 03, 2006

NOT Felix Adler



A very odd photo this morning: I had always thought that Felix Adler had "appropriated" his trademark padded rear end from Pete Mardo. Photos seemed to reveal that Pete was the first to use that particular gimmick.

Pete (real name Peter Guckeyson) was, like Felix, from Iowa. He started with the Barnum & Bailey Circus and switched to Ringling in 1909. He married Florence Harris, an English bareback rider in 1910. They retired in 1929 and ran restaurants in and around Akron, OH until Pete died at the age of 74 in 1956.

Here is a photo of a guy who IS NOT Pete Mardo but you would SWEAR was Felix if you didn't see the makeup. It makes me question whether Felix aped THIS unknown clown's look, as this walkaround would have to have been done about the time that soldiers were returning from the First World War, when Felix would have been just starting out as a circus clown.

If I didn't know better I'd swear that Felix just stole this guy's wardrobe trunk.

Strange.

4 comments:

24-HOUR-MAN said...

Pat,
I have an idea that this is Dr L.C.Holland, who bills himself as a "Hobby Clown" who was a friend, & sort of a student of Felix. I believe I have sent you some stuuf on him.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat!
Indeed this pic resembles Pete Mardo; however, Pete's face makeup reflected a much happier expression. He was my dad's great uncle and grew up in Akron, OH. A great article along with pictures was written about him in the Akron Beacon Journal on October 21, 2002 by Mark J. Price.

Unknown said...

Thought you might like a couple of pictures. One of Pete Mardo and one of he and Florence together.
By the way, Pete was born and raised in Akron, Ohio. Their tavern was called the Tally-Ho Tavern which was located in Poland, Ohio just east of Akron. Also, Florence wasn't English. She was born in southern Michigan and like Pete, ran away to the circus at a young age. Contact me by email and I will send them along.

Pat Cashin said...

Dennis,

Absolutely!

Contact me at cashincomedy@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Pat