Friday, March 23, 2007

BILLY SMART'S CIRCUS: Boxing Gag



I'm not sure who the clown is but I've seen the gag before. I've seen it done at Cirque de lar Mer in Sea World Orlando (with the same music) and I know Don Christensen has been doing something similar to it around Europe. For lack of a better title let's call it "The Audience Participation Boxing Gag".

It has less in common with the classic Chesty Mortimer/Otto Griebling/Freddie Freeman-style Boxing Gag (or the Boxing Machine that the Llatas did) than it does with David Shiner, Rene Bazinet and David Larible but it seems to be rapidly becoming one of the "contemporary standards"; a gag in several people's repetior.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The clown in question is Chico Rico, more formally Aidan Morales, a Mexican who is now based in England.
Much the same gag is currently in 2 circuses in Scandinavia. Don Christian (which is his clown name; he's Austrian) is in Norway with Merano. And somebody called "Mr Chap" (although I've known him work as "Janos") is on Arena in Denmark. I've seen the latter work the routine, but not Christiaan (proper Christian name!).

John.