Wednesday, January 23, 2008

JEFF DARNELL REMEMBERS: Clown Car, Ringling Blue Unit 1979

Photo and comments courtesy of Jeff Darnell



From Jeff...

This photo was taken in 1979 in Cobo Hall.... (I think.)

Peter Pitofsky is adjusting Guest Clown Mr. Peare's hat (I believe this is Gary's dad)

Checkered shoes of Scotty Parker then Tom Dougherty with the flowered lapel, JD in the striped shirt to Tom's right in the back ground, and the little person is Elizabeth in the police uniform.

For the life of me, I can't remember the clown in the "car wash" overalls is.

I think Michael Brevig's curly wig is poking out from behind Peter's head.

3 comments:

Gary said...

I think this was '79. The Blue Show played Detroit when I was in Venice. Tom Dougherty did my dad's (Gene Peare) make-up. The design looked as though my dad had used it for years. It became his makeup for the rest of his life!

His costume is entirely vintage. Those are my great-uncle Hank Peare's shoes (Lou told me they were made out of felt boot liners); they used to be about 30 inches longer. Hank, Bobby Clark, and Paul McCullough all took turns wearing them. The pants and coat were made by Hank's brother-in-law who was one of those Circus Fans of America guys who used to be allowed to work spot dates when shows came to town. He reused all of Hank's stuff.

When I dropped out of college to go to RBBBCC my dad didn't speak to me for 3 months. I later realized he wasn't angry. He was jealous.

Thanks for sharing, JD!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat,
Gary is correct. The clown car photo was 1979.... walkaround photo too.
Peter, in the Alley was 1980, Michu 1980,
the photo of Tuba and Richard Fick may have actually been a few years later in Greensboro ('82 or '84)
JD

Anonymous said...

I beleive the photo of Richard and Tuba is 84. I joined in ,85 and that was the clown band costume Tuba was wearing.

Kevin Brown