Saturday, September 02, 2006

Ruthie and Peggy

Photo courtesy of Rik Gern



Two clowns very near and dear to my heart, Ruth Chaddock and Peggy Williams. From Peggy herself: "It was taken near the animal compound in Long Beach, CA in about 1977".

I met Ruth when she came to Clown College to take plaster casts of all the students' faces so that we could use them to craft our own custom latex noses. I wish that I'd had more of an opportunity to talk with her. A sweeter person you couldn't ask to meet.

I first met Peggy Williams on the floor of Madison Square Garden in 1974 when I was selected to help participate in spec. Peggy held my hand and lead me to another performer who walked me through but I'll never forget standing so close to Prince Paul and Peggy Williams on the floor of the Garden! It was one of the great thrills of my childhood!

Peggy was also among the folks there to meet us and greet us on our first day of Clown College. She was a friend (and great storyteller) during Winter Quarters and while I was on the road. Peggy even sent me a very thoughtful birthday greeting this year that, because of computer trouble, I never got to reply and thank her for. Another very, very sweet person.

As for the photo, given the era that it was taken in I'm wondering if there wasn't some reference to "Laverne and Shirley" in their similar wigs and Ruth's "R" on her sweater. I don't know. Peggy, Ruth, if you're out there please tell us! Inquiring minds want to know!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, in 74 Peg was on the Red Unit with me. I don't think we let her get away to prop up the Blue Show in NYC. I think she was stuck in some pooh hole with us.

Yes... Ruthie and 'Miss Poole' are THE BEST!

Anonymous said...

Say, what are those girls doing to poor Emanuel Lewis?

Anonymous said...

I talked to Ruth about the "R' on the sweater, and she said that she thinks it may have been part of a cheerleader gag.

Rik Gern