Monday, July 09, 2007

CLOWN COLLEGE: 20th Anniversary Special



The first few minutes of the 1987 CBS television special celebrating the 20th anniversary of Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Clown College.

I was in the 30th class in 1997. We didn't get a television special.

Interesting to note the emphasis on the fact that Ringling "only" had 14 clowns in 1968. The Red and Blue units only have 14 clowns each now.

If you look to the left of the screen in the opening shot where Dick Van Dyke is at the podium you will see then CC makeup instructor Ruth Chaddock and CC director Steve Smith.

The purple 1931 Ford that belches smoke in the montage is currently sitting in my garage. It belonged to Kent "Speedo the Speedway Clown" Tyler for almost 40 years.

Mr. Van Dyke has since made disparaging remarks about circus clowns in Diane Keaton's book CLOWN PAINTINGS. As a circus clown, I would certainly welcome the chance to make disparaging remarks about Mr. Van Dyke's post-1960s career for Ms. Keaton's next book, PEOPLE WHO ARE ONLY FUNNY WHEN THEY WORK WITH CARL REINER.

Diagnosis: Jerk

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when I got my acceptance letter to clown college. I really didn't know what it was. my friends showed me this special. wow I thought I'm in way over my head. I remember being quite scared of this magical place. boy clown college and this video changed my life. thanks for the memories!

Anonymous said...

Are you lookin' for elephant pics today ?

Anonymous said...

The intro of Dick Van Dyke is made by Tim Holst, and that scene was shot in front of a law office about 2 blocks from the old WQ in Venice.

I believe the number of clowns for 2008 on Ringling will now be going down to 12 on each alley.

Van Dyke was very kind and easy to chat with while filming the special, and shared many stories of himself and Stan Laurel, Buster Keaton & Lou Jacobs. Not quite sure where the less than flattering
ideas concerning clowns he included in the Diane Keaton book came to him...?

-Greg

24-HOUR-MAN said...

That book is the most disgusting piece of trash ever printed about clowns I ever saw. My nephew gave it to me as a gift not knowing what was in it, I went through it once & got rid of it.