Tuesday, April 17, 2007

CLOWN ALLEY: The Day Lou Met the Class of '74

Photo courtesy of Mike Naughton




From Mike Naughton...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This photo was taken at Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus World in Haines City, FL on US 27, just east of I-4 -- Clown College '74.

They brought us to Circus World for Elephant Riding Class this is where I met the Woodcock Family for the first time. This was also the first time Lou Jacobs was introduced to the class. He presented his "Hunting Gag" to thunderous applause from a most enthusiastic audience.

I don't want to misspell or misidentify anyone, so I'll only name those I am certain of. When I dig out the Class Roster I should be able to correctly identify all.

From the left, arms crossed is the stalwart Ruthie Chaddock; to the right of Ruthie, also arms crossed and looking fetching in tank top and neck scarf is Bruce Gutilla, behind Bruce with the cap is myself; in front of me is Barry Lubin before he had a sex change and became a senior citizen; to the right in a "shower cap?" is Dale Longmire (I just washed my hair and couldn't do a thing with it); next to Dale is George Khoury; several clowns over in civilian attire is Bobby Kay; peeking out from behind Lou's elbow is Mark Stolzenberg; down front in the center and in the afro wig is Mitch Freddes and to the right is Rick Davis. Right in front of Lou's collar is a little person, Mike King and to the left of Mike is Kathy Herb wearing overalls. Rumor had it that Mike King, who was working in Circus World prior to CC had a guaranteed contract to join the show but had to attend CC first. He was a very hard working individual and an excellent "little clown".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A photo of the day that folks like Barry Lubin, Bill Irwin, Dick Monday, Mitch Freddes, Ruth Chaddock and Mark Stolzenberg all met Lou Jacobs for the first time? Historic indeed! Thank you, Mike!

The look on Barry Lubin's (winner of the 2007 Felix B. Adler Awards Lou Jacobs Lifetime Achievement Award) alone is worth 100,000 words.

No comments: