Thursday, July 06, 2006

Sa-So

Another great photo from Bill Strong...

Pat, I lifted this off a 1954 Hamid-Morton program, so I don't know how it will come through.

I don't know a thing about Sa-So, (pronounced Say-So), what kind of clown he was, or whether he worked anywhere except the Hamid-Morton Show, but his make-up has always fascinated me. I seem to remember that he was also Bob Morton's chauffeur.


The 1956 Hamid-Morton Milwaukee program features the same photo with the captions "Sa-Sothe Clown - His Father A Clown" and "Always Clowning".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Working on the Hamid Morton Circus at that time, I must say Sa-So was a great person as well as a great clown. He was an all arround type guy. Anything you want done,--just ask SA-SO He was our mailman, and incharge of the route cards. He did work Fair dates, and always was ready and willing to do benefit shows.I too have that picture in my albums. Keep up the good job Pat, Bill & Buckles, I surely enjoy all the pictures. BOY, those were the days. Thanks again for all the memories. BNC

Anonymous said...

Following his service with the U.S. Navy in 1927, and before putting on the greasepaint, Sa-So (AKA Edward Chapman) worked as a stuntman in Hollywood and at major attractions along the East Coast.